Saturday, December 6, 2014

Observation, Reflection, Continuous Learning.

A train. As I move towards the exit, anticipating my stop, I see a man. He is on the phone with someone discussing a Christmas gift for his children. He seems a little disturbed and stressed out. I wonder what the stress is over.
           Some worn out jeans, a bright yellow construction worker vest, and some muddy boots. These are what a middle aged man wears. He sits on the corner bench of the train, away from everyone else. He holds a phone in his hand. The cheapest kind. He is talking to someone else on the other end. A new home for his kids for Christmas. He says that he cannot because of a lack of money.
           Initially, I would have thought less of him based on his outfit, but realized how judgmental and terrible that really was. He was doing the best he could, wishing, but being unable to purchase a new home for his kids. He sounded sort of devastated by that fact, disappointed in himself. However, after my realization, I felt that he was doing the best that he could. That he was trying his hardest and that if his kids would have heard him say that they would be grateful to their father for caring for them and that he was hoping to buy them a house to live in once he had some money.

No comments:

Post a Comment